Monday, January 19, 2009

Horsemotions I, 14" X 7", Sanguine dust/carbon,graphite pencils, 2009

I have sketched so many horses in the past and I love their movement, form and just the smell of being around these fun living things. The sounds they make and the way they are never stable but keep moving.






So this is the first of a series of drawings and paintings on horses called "Horsemotions". It will feature the character, movement, and general well being of these fantastic creatures.

I have done this one by ghosting the sepia dust to form the background, then I have sketched and shaded with graphite, carbon pencils and added a little white gouache for highlights I couldn't get with my putty rubber.

9 comments:

Mikes blog said...

You have really caught the power and slow movement of a heavy Shire horse.

adebanji said...

Thanks Mike! I didn't even know what they were called, I have learnt something here!

adebanji said...

Thanks Mike! I didn't even know what they were called, I have learnt something here!

RobCarey said...

Oh, I like this. These horses look very sturdy, and the colors compliment them very well.

adebanji said...

Thnaks Rob!

artbyakiko said...

Wow! It's cool! I love the motion of a horse depicted in three stages. Wonderful drawings, as always!

adebanji said...

Thanks Akiko!

dominique eichi said...

What I love about it, is the progression from not so defined to strong with definition, isn't it how we look at life when we pause to pay attention and Sanguine complements it so well.( Also Sanguine translated is bloodied) pertetual movement of the strong horse give us hope and power, something to meditate upon.
I love this piece, wonderful.

adebanji said...

Hmmmm this is so powerful, I have never thought about this in this way!

You have really made a SOLID ANALYSIS that make me almost quake where I sit. I like that sanguine bloodied bit!

Thanks for taking time to visit and encourage!