Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"I don't need an umbrella....I love the rain" , 6" x 9", Mixed Media, 2011 (The Flying Moleskins)


This is my contribution to Vern's sketchbook. Its part of a Sketchbook Exchange I am currently taking part in called, "The Flying Moleskins" He said we could paint anything and around the time I was thinking of what to paint- It happened to be a time I was getting mesmerized by rain reflections on London streets.



I don't need an umbrella...I love the rain, 6" x 9", Mixed Media, 2011

So I decided to do this piece of an old man I saw around Holborn in London enjoying the rain without an umbrella. Hope you like it Vern-It got me back to using watercolour and gouache.


SPECIAL QUOTE
" A prison in Bristol asked me to do a painting for the altar piece in their chapel and I did this big thing of the prodigal son; a father and son locked in embrace and the whole redemptive thing about that. While I was doing it I had a surveyor come around to look at the house-I was remortgaging it- and he saw the image and started crying. It was 9 o'clock in the morning and I was still in my pyjamas and he was in tears. He said: "What is that?" I said: It's a father and son. So he said: "I've got a 9 year old kid but I've never hugged him." Then he walked out saying:"I'm gonna find him." I called after him: "What about the house?"......
-Charlie Mackesy

8 comments:

Ben said...

What a beautiful painting, and the quote is absolutely wonderful too. Thanks!

adebanji said...

Thanks Ben! The guy who made the quote is an artist I love so much! His works are simply divine!

Unknown said...

Awesome painting!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.100746563269196.1478.100000015588823

http://lordbishop08.deviantart.com/gallery/

adebanji said...

Thanks Earl, you've got nice works too

Juliet said...

I love the colours of this painting-they glow! and you can really feel the rain in the atmosphere in this picture.

adebanji said...

Thanks Juliet!

Vern Schwarz said...

Adebanji, I love the painting that you did for me...and even more now that I can view it in real life.

You move people with your wonderful art, so I can see why your surveyor had such an emotional reaction to your piece.

Thanks again friend.

adebanji said...

Thanks Vern! The surveyor didn't react to my piece, he reacted to a piece by Charlie Mackesy.