Monday, April 29, 2013

Urban Shadow Highlights III and IV (Bath Marathon Plein Air)

This is a  Retrospective Series  of some selected paintings from my Bath Marathon highlights the effect of shadows and raking light in urban space in a modern city.


This is number 3 of the series!
Paintings bring back strong memories and I can vividly remember hunting for a place to paint in the morning when I discovered this place. I basically went wild with the painting application and painted like a pig eats-just to capture the subtle beautiful light around the buildings. Most of my paint was diluted with liquin for fast drying and rapid stroke effects. A very good and bouncy synthetic long flat brush is also vital! I just love this painting!!! That little lone figure in yellow was the highlight of it all! 

Urban Shadow Highlights III-Raking Light, Old Orchard Street, 6" x 8", Oil on Board

TO PURCHASE THIS PAINTING, PLEASE CLICK HERE



That's the set-up and the painting on my pochade. Sometimes there's no one to take me pictures, so I take them myself and they end up looking a bit awkward.
Picture of the scene- no where near what I saw-this is the fragility of the lens at times!


This is number 4 of the series!
This particular painting reminds me of Chapel Row Gallery- I had just finished a little portrait in pencil during their open day for any one to sketch there, when I got outside and notice this beautiful light hitting the building on the right. I immediately went for it! I must confess, sometimes, I almost forget everything about drawing when trying to capture the light!



Urban Shadow Highlights IV- Up chapel Row towards Queen's Square, 6" x 8", Oil on board

TO PURCHASE THIS PAINTING, PLEASE CLICK HERE


  
That's my cool spot where I snapped myself after the painting was completed.

Picture of the scene- The camera couldn't pick the dramatic perspective that led the eye up the hilly road.
SPECIAL QUOTE
LIGHT is beautiful! Light changes everything! Lets walk in the light- but not forget the shades!-Adebanji Alade

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wondering if you have a video on how to start a plein air painting. The materials you like and your process.
Thanks!
Linnea

Unknown said...

I was wondering if you have a video on the materials and process for your plein air paintings? I paint, but in a studio and want to try it outside and I'm a bit loss as to what to buy. I know you have the Gorilla box..
but what else is essential when you are outside. If you have not done a video on this maybe you should :)

adebanji said...

Thanks Kathryn- i'll have to make that my target!
I think it's a great idea!!!